Gaming consoles have taken over the gaming community. Companies such as Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony have changed the way we play video games. It used to be common to play computer games, sometimes against another person via the Internet.
Access to these games was only available through your computer, now there are several options available and more on their way. Once consumers began using game consoles online to play, companies feared the downfall of computer gaming. That was not the case at all. There are some disadvantages of gaming consoles for online gaming compared to personal computers.
There are a few different brands of gaming consoles available right now. Microsoft has Xbox and most recently Xbox 360. Sony has PlayStation, PlayStation 2, and PlayStation 3 due to be released in November 2006. Nintendo has the Game Cube. Although these are all good consoles the PC has already been trying to merge the two (game consoles and pc gaming). Sony managed to merge them with its game Need for Speed, putting game console gamers against PC gamers in online games. This game became very successful. There are more pros than cons for gaming consoles when compared to PC gaming.
Disadvantages to Gaming Consoles
Some of the disadvantages of console gaming are:
- All of the gaming components are sealed inside the unit. If there should be a problem you will have to replace most or all of unit, losing game data.
- Once a console becomes outdated you cannot up grade without buying a new console.
- A console is a one hit wonder; meaning you can only do one thing on it, play games. Unlike PC there is no other use for game consoles. Some do have the option of purchasing additional hardware, making DVD movie playback the only other option.
- The games are not transferable. You can't take an Xbox game and play it in a PlayStation etc.
Advantages to PC
There are some real advantages to owning a PC to play your games on. Here are a few:
- The most popular advantage to PC gaming is the games! There is more variety and options for PC games than any other system.
- Since the PC is more of a tool, games are easily downloaded and there are more and more made available for free.
- Computers are made to handle the pixels displayed on the monitor keeping graphics sharp and without damage to the screen. Televisions weren't made to handle the pixels as well and become damaged after a while.
- Computers have many options available to connect to the internet, whereas consoles are limited.
- Computers are versatile, allowing numerous upgrades and possible additions. Consoles are limited to the current system available.
Until a game console can handle the same things as a PC there is just no contest. PCs will still rule in the game world!